On 10/04/11 11:07, Sivan Greenberg wrote:
I just think it would have been better if we (The Nokia linux
organization and the fans) did not have to go through the MeeGo
hurdle, and as you say in detail, look at harmattan and how slick and
beautiful is as a product. (I use it in N950 as my everyday phone and
no *other* OS/ device even comes close to the experience I get.
The slick parts are sadly not very open.

However, I understand from Carsten that all of our code is already in
RPM and hence this is why Mer is going to use it, I am wondering what
would it take to just use Harmattan as the basis for Mer now and keep
the tradition and the rocking dev tools (Scratchbox is indeed, a cross
compilation environment OOTB that as an embedded OS maker, I've yet
come to see in its simplicity and support to the developer from any
other platform / distro and/or vendor).
Yes, one would want Scratchbox or similar in addition to what OBS provides. However, there is nothing that prevents Scratchbox from being used together with RPM and an RPM based distro is there?

Don't go around trying to changing everything if what you're missing is just Scratchbox.

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com
Software Developer, Openismus GmbH - www.openismus.com