Familiarise yourself with IPv4: addreses, network segments, netmasks, and
private IP ranges. Even a careful reading of wikipedia might be enough to get
you started. By the end you shouls have a basic understanding of how packets
are routed. You won't be building a router, so no need for complex stuff, that
will come later. Then the OS itself: ifconfig and (some of) route will help.
Read their man pages (at least the parts about inet (aka IPv4) for ifconfig and
how 'get' and 'show' work on route. By then you'll be able to assign an address
to each host, and have them communicating with each other.ping will help you to
check if things are flowing, tcpdump might help to see if and why things are
/not/ flowing.By now you got to where you wanted, but my next step would be
going deeper into routing, handling hosts with multiple interfaces,  and
subnets. Then perhaps NAT, and redirecting and for that you need pf.  Peter
Hansteen's "The Book of PF" might help you there, but there's also the PF parts
of OpenBSD's FAQ, and several other places online.Take it one step at a time,
and let your curiosity lead you.Cheers-- Sent from my phone, apologies for bad
formatting
-------- Original message --------From: Lucretia <l...@openbsdgirl.com> Date:
11/05/2024  03:53  (GMT+00:00) To: misc@openbsd.org Subject: Localnet Hacking I
have a laptop and am looking to purchase a second computer. Neither of them
will be connected to The Internet, but will be networked together.My goal is to
study networking, starting with some of the most basic commands and routines.
This will be purely for educational purposes. I may build upon the network
later, perhaps with unconventional devices, but for now I want to focus just on
having two Amd64 machines communicating with one another.What are some basic
networking commands from the base installation or from ports that would be good
for a novice to learn more in-depth?I have no plans to connect this system to
The Internet now or in the future, so keep that in mind when suggesting.Book
recommendations are most welcome!Lux of the Agony720077 BishkekAltyn Kazyk
31akyrgyzstan...@openbsdgirl.com