On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 08:26:35PM +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> > application should install itself -- .conf files, .htaccess files,
> > dbm's, directory structures, perl code, html and templates, correct
> > version of Perl, CPAN packages for any stuff needed, Apache, mod_perl,
> > mod_ssl, mod_whatever, mysql, database schemas, database contents,
> > DBI, Session, front-end proxy -- everything.  Each application should
> > gronk whatever's already there, or rename it out of the way.
> > Warnings in big letters.  Tough doots.
>
> Do you have any idea how hard this is? Seriously. Because I do. Dave
> Rolsky does. And doing this for free is going to be nigh on impossible.

IMHO, it shouldnt be that difficult if you make some good assumptions.
For example, how difficult will it be to maintain the following package:

   1. Assume Perl 5.5.3 OR 5.6.0
   2. Assume latest Apache and static mod_perl
   3. Assume latest Apache::DBI, Apache::Session,
   4. Assume latest HTML::Mason (I cant speak for the others, yet)
   5. Assume latest MySQL

Now, with the above, I think we can maintain a basic demo, templating
system with session management using Apache::DBI fairly easily.

Ajit