Dear Pablo,

While I am unsure about lithic artifacts (as I don't have much experience
in scanning these), I have personally succesfully used a NextEngine laser
scanner to scan human crania. As you say, while it is not possible to get a
complete scan in one go, it is usually possible to do it in two sittings.
In the first instance, you place the cranium so that it is resting on its
basicranium (more or less Frankfurt Horizontal) and complete a full 360
scan. Then, you fix the cranium in place so that its occipital bone is on
the plateau and frontal bone upwards. Then you perform the second scan.
Later down the line, you can stitch these two together quite easily using
the software that comes with the scanner (ScanStudio), or use something
like Meshlab. For this stitching, you just need to make sure that you have
homologous landmarks that you can use to tell the software which structures
should align.

Ofcourse, if you have a Breuckmann structured light scanner or similar with
a wider field of view, it will be a bit easier to scan the crania, although
you still need to do two sittings, since you are not capturing the area on
which your specimen is resting-
If it is available for you, I would advise looking into a handheld scanner,
like the Artec Spider. The newer models are super fast, easy to use, and
you scan in real time, meaning that you can quite easily turn your specimen
around, continue scanning and stitch everything together with the
accompanying software.

Note that with all of these, it will still be quite difficult to get some
of the more complex areas scanned. For example, the NextEngine sometimes
has trouble in scanning the oribital roofs, as the lasers cannot reach this
area easily. Something like the Artec has less issue with this, as you can
move the scanner around more freely (as opposed to conventional scanners,
where you move the specimen around and not the scanner). Lithic artifacts
might be easier, but their reflective surfaces (think obisidian) might give
you other issues since they can scatter the lasers projected by some of
this hardware.

Hope this helps and if you have any specific questions, please let me know.

With kind regards,
Abel