A couple of things struck me about Pat Awada's report. First was her conclusion that "the more money given to local governments the more they spend" which I file under "Duh!".

I think she was trying to say that the spending is the result of the giving as opposed to need. This may be, but is not neccessarily, the case. The spending can just as easily be based on need and thus the larger amounts given are related to need and, logically, get spent.

That's the smaller point, however.

The larger issue is a question of philosophy. Pat Awada feels that libraries and parks are "non-essential". I do not. These are quality of life issues for communities. Once we've agreed that such things are needed to bolster our communities there comes the question of who's responsible for supporting them.

If we want government involvement the question becomes how to pay for them. The LGA program was part of the "Minnesota Miracle" which moved such costs away from local governments who rely on regressive property taxes to the state which relies on a (theoretically) progressive income tax as well as a regressive sales tax and other revenue.

The Republicans have decided to move the burden of "non-essential" services back to local governments, and thus back onto regressive property taxes.

The other result, intentional or not, is to punish the inner cities.

Jim McGuire
Como

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.