There is no excuse. Social workers and other euphorian types can make
all the excuses for people they want to, but the fact remains,it's
stupid, wrong, and disgusting.
I just pick the stuff up, and if I'm in a snotty mood, say "thank you"
as I am picking it up behind the person.
If I'm on my bike and someone tosses something out a car window, I
pick it up and when they are sitting at the next stoplight I hand it
to them and say "excuse me, I think you dropped this". Reactions range
from embarassement and apologies to having the object thrown at me.
Last fall I had a particularly encouraging encounter with some
litterbugs.
 I was out in my back yard and heard someone tipping over garbage cans
in the alley. I went out there, and one kid was deep into a can
tossing things left and right over his shoulders into the alley. When
I asked him "just what the hell do you think you're doing?"  he said
"It wasn't me". I just said "bullsh%$*t", and proceeded to pick the
stuff up and put  garbage cans back in place, It only took about two
minutes until his friends turned to, and helped me clean up the entire
length of the alley. I didn't even ask them to, they just followed my
lead. Good kids, just needed a little nudge.I thanked them, we parted
ways, and it hasn't happened since.

Mike Nelson
Central