Jeff Rosenberg wrote:

Mr. Searles wrote:
>Excuses, excuses, excuses. There is no sense of personal responsibility.
>Minneapolis will continue to degrade if this is this prevailing attitude.

Since when is trying to put a finger on the problem an excuse? It's only an
excuse if we say "well, it's povery, we can't do anything." Otherwise, it's
trying to get to the root of the problem in order to help it. For myself,
preparing for life as a city planner, this kind of discussion can help me
prepare for a lifetime of fighting against this.
I submit that your attitude is much more problemati. You treat this as a
Minneapolis problem that you want no part of, rather than a societal
problem which you'd like to discuss remedies for. The attitude of saying
"well, I don't live there, screw 'em" translates into people driving
through our city and tossing things out car windows because it doesn't
affect them. Doubtless, these people will then complain that the city is
dirty when they come to go to the Orpheum.

My Response:
Wow, and my wife sometimes accuses me of putting words in her mouth. I have nothing on
Jeff Rosenberg in this category.

My reason for mentioning Minneapolis was an effort to keep it Minneapolis specific and
because I felt that another contributor would rather blame littering on societal
issues rather than the perpetrators (who probably are residents of Minneapolis and not
those stupid, evil people from outside your city limits). You want me to suggest a
remedy? Here's one: don't tolerate it. Know what your kids and your neighbor's kids
are doing. Get together with your neighbors and pick up your streets. I pick garbage
up along my road all the time. Yes, we have litterers out here, too, and if you notice
I am not blaming the residents of Minneapolis who travel though the countryside on
their way to Grandma's Easter dinner.

People litter because they neither care about, nor respect anyone else. There's
nothing complex about it.

Tom Searles
Waconia, Twp.