Tom Searles wrote:

My reason for mentioning Minneapolis was an effort to keep it Minneapolis
specific and because I felt that another contributor would rather blame
littering on societal issues rather than the perpetrators (who probably are
residents of Minneapolis and not those stupid, evil people from outside your
city limits).

Jeff Rosenberg responds:
Fair enough. As long as you were not trying to say that this is solely a
Minneapolis problem, I take less exception to your post.
I don't think people from outside the city are either evil or stupid. I
welcome them to experience out city responsibly, and I value their interest.
That said, I ask you to excuse me if I seem averse to them at times --
sadly, all of the recent experiences I've had with suburbanites have shown
me that they hate our city. Of course this does not reflect everyone's
opinion -- indeed, I sincerely hope they're a minority.
All the same, I stick by my point that if people think keeping Minneapolis
beautiful is just a Minneapolis problem (which you do not, Mr. Searles),
then it will certainly translate into littering suburbanites who do it
because they don't experience the results. Are they the sole, or even the
typical people who litter? Of course not.

Tom Searles:
You want me to suggest a remedy? Here's one: don't tolerate it. Know what
your kids and your neighbor's kids are doing. Get together with your
neighbors and pick up your streets. I pick garbage up along my road all the
time.

Myself:
Of course, that's important. I would hope people do that -- I know I do. All
the same, I don't think that will cover it, for reasons already posted. I
believe we also need to discuss how littering can be deterred through
design. I think most people agree with me that litter tends to accumulate
here a tad faster than in Waconia. I'd love to pick it all up, but I'd need
a salary.

--Jeff Rosenberg
Cedar / Riverside