You can do anything you want to your docment with shell commands.
eg.
:1,5 !fmt
will close up lines 1 to 5.
or:
!}fmt
will do the same to the next paragraph break (blank line).
info fmt will show you some options.
You could write a very short script to do just want you want and bind it to
a key.
Joel