I've heard of Proteus and Falstad, but never looked into them because I'm
entrenched in my current suite of free CAD tools and so far I havn't seen
anything that will nudge me out. The biggest fear I have is that a tool
will get abandoned, so having them installed on my local system is a must.
So far, the gEDA tools haven't been abandoned yet, but it's been a few
months since the latest update.