I am a chemical engineer and when I retired I was working on the safe landfall of north sea oil and gas. I have little formal electronics training and I'm mostly self taught.... That said....

 I do a mixed bag of experiments using dead insect on a copper sided PCB, a plug in board, a literal breadboard (mostly for valves), strip board when I want something semi-permanent or for a long running experiment and simulations using LTSpice. I tend to do what I think is best at the time for the tests I want to perform. I do enjoy building things, this is the hobby after all.

My use of LTSpice is limited to analogue stuff and some power supply simulations. I've not had too much success with designs that use inductors in particular. But I spent some time simulating various CRT deflection amplifier designs before moving to a PCB and I was not disappointed by the results. I know I should simulate more before heating up the soldering iron...

For PCB design I own an unlimited copy of Eagle 7.7.0 which was the last version before they went subscription based. It is getting old now (like me) and I have looked at some of the all-in-one design software but Eagle does what I want (schematic to Gerbers), I know how to use it and I have a large component library that I have developed myself. So I don't feel a need to go anywhere else: I am unconvinced that the facilities in any new software would be repaid the time I would spend learning how to use it. But my prototype PCB designs often have problems: they tend not to be "electrical" but "mechanical" in nature. Components are too close or I goof with the silkscreen such as I label things incorrectly - this is just incompetence I know.

Going back to the simulation question - I started with QUCS and then moved to LTSpice - should I look to use another simulator? What should I look at beyond LTSpice?

 Keep in mind my limited knowledge of electronics and the need to self-teach!

Grahame