Hello,

I would like to propose to host next year's Nordic Perl Workshop in
Riga, Latvia.

Let me explain why I am doing this. There are several reasons for
choosing Riga as a host city of NWP 2010.

If you have attended my lightning talk in Oslo this year, you might
remember the map I demonstrated to show the coverage of Perl events.
Today it looks like this:
http://blog.shitov.ru/i/9000km-of-perl/06.gif. Maybe I've missed some
events in Spain and other countries in the West of the continent, but
I definitely sure that the white corridor which currently splits two
coloured parts really exists. Organizing my own events in five
different countries I was trying to cover as much of Russian-speaking
land as possible, conquering even the territory of Bulgaria, which is
not really Russian-speaking. I would also like to fill the gap, namely
Baltic states.

I have briefly examined the state of conference halls in Riga and see
that at least from financial point of view it is possible to host the
event there, because rent prices are quite reasonable.

Riga is also the hub of AirBaltic and that means there are lots of
planes to and from all the countries NPW is aware of.

Latvia is within the Schengen territory now which makes it easy
accessible by Europeans.

And just to add another plus, I might say that my bank account in
Latvia bank AB.LV was approved today. So I may collect money there now
:-)

Noone yet from Baltic states are now subscribed to this mailing list,
and I am trying to persuade Tallin.pm's leader to take the part in the
organizational processes. Anyway there are people here in Moscow who
will not refuse to help me with the stuff, I think.

Nordic Perl Workshop is the (only?) annual event which is moving every
year between neighbouring countries. This year's NPW in Oslo showed
that not only people from Nordic countries are interested in attending
that event. I propose to make that "moving waves" more strong and
touch Baltics.

P. S. I am writing this e-mail from the hotel in the capital of
Uzbekistan, where we have organized yet another Perl Workshop outside
our country of residence.

--
Andrew Shitov
a...@shitov.ru | http://shitov.ru