> But have you found local mongers motivated to help organizing?

That is the most serious obstacle. No people yet except some I have to
persuade. My experience after ten events in the ExUSSR territory shows
that people are rather passive. Or at least have strong inertia. There
should be external impulse to fire the interest. For example, there
were four speakers at our first Russian PW in 2007, and tomorrow we
have two days and two threads at YAPC::Russia 2009, and about 20
lightning talks. Another example is the workshop in Taskhent, where we
were the only two(!) speakers.

People do not want to talk. Or at least they are shamed to talk for
the first time or at new event.

>From that point of view, hosting NPW in Baltics in a "promotional
mode" would ease the organization. I am sure that there will be more
than two speakers who'd like to talk at that event. This is very
important to have the variety of people on the scene.

On the other hand, the year next to Baltic event you might expect
attendees from Baltics who'd like to come to one of
Nordic-by-definition countries.

I don't think that NPW consept is getting shallowed when foreigners
(in terms of "Nordic") attend it. The workshop is still
Nordic-centric, but with foreigner guests. Language-centrism is good,
but again I think that should not be the main goal of the event.

--
Andrew Shitov
a...@shitov.ru | http://shitov.ru