Hi Andrew,

I have "heard" of two other "proposals".

- Göteborg in Sweden
- Reykjavik in Iceland
- and I am thinking about organizing "something" in Copenhagen in 2010

Nothing is settled yet though.

I am actually more keen on the idea of a Baltic Perl Workshop, traveling between the 3 countries. I am not saying that we will not promote it and a lot of people will probably attend.

But in my opinion the Workshops serve a very special purpose and the goal should be to attract a local audience.

1. Workshops are not YAPCs
2. Workshops should target local Perl users
3. Workshops should not necessarily be in English (see: German Perl Workshop)

Long term:

1. We want more Perl users adopted into the community as:
        - Local monger group members
        - CPAN contributors
        - YAPC/Workshop attendees
        - CPAN testers
        - Community Project contributors (Rakudo, Parrot etc.)

2. We want Perl on the world map and on peoples CVs

3. We want Perl world domination // Profit, beer, free stickers, cool t-shirts // Nirvana based on the Perl virtues - what ever...

So when we evaluate the people attending our Workshops, we see the following groups:

1. Local Perl Mongers
2. Local Perl Users, which come because it is local to where they work
3. Others, frequent flyers, crazy french, crazy americans, people with too much time, friends of 1. etc.

- It is nice organizing something for group 1. which is a big larger than your normal tech/social meet.

- We want to attract 2. so 1. gets bigger and more sustainable

- We simply cannot avoid group 3. and they are often delivering extra ordinary content, making group 1, happy and group 2 interested.

From a historic perspective

NPW, started out as SPW (Scandinavian Perl Workshop), but the Helsinki.pm wanted to join (but never did). Anyway, we think we are too small a language group, so it was interesting for us to collaborate with Sweden and later Norway. This was from the beginning due to the proximity of our countries and relations through local Linux User Group (SSLUG), which used to be the largest in the world until the Brazillians discovered the Internet, Open Source and Orkut.

NPW was the first workshop to cross country borders, but we simply do this our of necessity and to attract the audience.

We do as such not have a board evaluating proposals, so nothing can stop anybody from organizing a NPW, so we might even have several in a year, the annual things is also pure coincidence.

Anyway I hope you will organize something with the above points in mind, since workshops are truly grass root and we JFDI. I just want you to evaluate the following:

1. Primarily attract group 1
2. Get locals (group 1) involved in the organization
3. Attract group 2
4. Group 3 will come whether you want them too or not, but group 3 will never be larger than groups 2 and 3 5. NPW is slowly starting to show signs of becoming too strained geographically.

About the last bullet. Stockholm, Oslo and Copenhagen have all hosted several workshops and I expect they all want to do so again, but we want to attract more people from group 1, so we are interested in covering some of the grey areas in Denmark (Århus), Sweden, (Göteborg/ Malmö) - I do not know about Norway, but I guess other venues/cities could be hosting in the future, I will have to talk to Oslo.pm.

We want to keep our sponsors in the loop and our audience on their toes. We have seen a lot of people going from group 2 to group 1. And later they become YAPC attendees. But this takes time and we have to keep their interest sparked and to some traveling too far to attend a workshop is comparable to going to a YAPC, so they don't go. So please look into your target audience and make a decision based on this.

Sorry this mail got so long, it was just my 2 cents,

jonasbn