--- On Fri, 15/7/11, Francis Wood [1]oatenp...@googlemail.com

   wrote:Matt's question raises the interesting issue of how tunes by
   known composers become 'traditional tunes' (what does that really
   mean?)

   Hello Francis
   A rather good question. The full title of the 'Folk' degree at
   Newcastle is 'Folk and Traditional Music'. The distinction is important
   and I offer the following thoughts.
   When a piece is composed (often with dots by the composer or
   transcribed) it would be regarded as an example of Folk. If it then
   gets taken up by a whole local community and passed on orally it begins
   its journey into 'The Tradition'.
   To my way of thinking a composed piece can accomplish this
   transformation (if enough people take it up and absorb it,
   individualise it and pass it on) in little more than a generation.
   The examples you give of The Hesleyside is an excellent example.
   Versions I heard & played with trad players were always dotted as
   that's what the local dancers needed. Others prefer the plain version
   that's fine too. The thing for me is that once you have had dotted
   versions instilled the plainer ones don't conjure up the images or
   memories and so the dots don't just add to the tune they are from that
   standpoint an essential part of their character.
   The variation in opinion/personal choice is possibly the
   strongest evidence for the tune having reached traditional status.
   Warmest & best
   Anthony