On 15 Jul 2011, at 09:48, Matt Seattle wrote:

> I am fascinated by the 'soup' that accompanies traditional tunes, the
>   lore which has its own reality but is different from 'facts'. It is not
>   inconceivable that Shield composed the Morpeth Rant; I have seen no
>   evidence that convinces me he did; and does it matter?

Matt's question raises the interesting issue of how tunes by known composers
become 'traditional tunes' (what does that really mean?) and also how they
evolve and are over-composed by subsequent players and editors.

One good example of this is the Hesleyside Reel by Thomas J. Elliott of Hexham,
acknowledged and thanked in the 1936 edition of the NPS Tunebook, but regarded
now as thoroughly traditional. Players, as well as the editor of the most
recent edition, have sensibly ignored Elliot's dotted 2nd and third notes of
the first full bar and where the passage repeats. As he has it, it's awkward to
play and adds nothing to the tune.

Another 'traditional' tune, J.L Dunk's Whin Shields on the Wall was unplayable
nonsense when given to the NPS in a literate-looking but impossible manuscript.
Someone, probably the editor Gilbert Askew has bashed it into the excellent
Whinshield's Hornpipe.

Few people would now play Miss Forbes' Farewell to Banff at the speed Isaac
Cooper intended it, as a slow song. At the usual present speed, it would seem
that she couldn't get away fast enough.  I certainly prefer it with some
energetic pace.

Finally, there is an odd, tenuous and completely inconsequential connection
between Shield and Morpeth. Shield is buried in Westminster Abbey, adjacent to
Muzio Clementi, the first really significant composer for the piano and
subsequent piano manufacturer. Clementi was 'discovered' in Rome and brought to
England  by an aristocrat, Peter Beckford who was doing the young rich toff's
customary GrandTour. Beckford was, for a while, MP for Morpeth.

Francis