It's clear that some people in the early/mid 20th C called it Shield's Hornpipe.
Is there any evidence of this title from before 1900?
>From before 1850?

You have to push the 'Shield's Hornpipe' title back to 1770, the first ghostly
appearance of 'The Morpeth Rant' in Vickers' contents page, remember!

So far as I know, the Shields title postdates Shields's death by a century.

John

From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] on behalf of
Anthony Robb [anth...@robbpipes.com]
Sent: 15 July 2011 08:12
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu; marga...@watchorn7.plus.com
Subject: [NSP] Re: Shield's H'pipe

   Hello Margaret
   Thanks for that. I hear what you say re Jimmy but this is hardly an
   obscure tune and it seems strange that he would pluck that name out of
   the air as any other tune with that name is proving elusive.
   As for the version in question you can hear it here:

   [1]http://www.folknortheast.com/archive/detail.asp?id=P0010010

   I do find the thing fascinating and realise there's bound to be some
   human conjecture here. I'm wondering now if it might be another case of
   the 'big dog' interpretation of La Grande Chaine. Which it turns out
   came from youthful imaginings at a Folkworks Durham Youth Summer School
   and was then aired by Eleanor Walker on the Session tunes site, but
   then John Armstrong of Carrick is a much less fanciful source.
   The matter of real importance and certainty, of course, is that it has
   survived in various forms and is a cracking tune.
   Anthony

   --- On Thu, 14/7/11, Margaret Watchorn <marga...@watchorn7.plus.com>