On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Gour wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:59:39 +0100
"Hans" == Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

Hans> if you download the minimals installer script from the garden and
Hans> run
Hans>
Hans>    ./first-update.sh --engine=luatex

Hmm, the build script does not run first-update.sh but it invokes the
following:

msg "Starting download or update of ConTeXt distribution"
$srcdir/bin/texlua $srcdir/bin/mtxrun --script
$srcdir/bin/mtx-update.lua  \ --platform=$_platform
--texroot=$srcdir/tex --engine=all --extras=all \ --context=beta
--update  --force || return 1

Maybe I should wait for Aditya to explain what is he doing...

This is the best compromise I could get for running MkIV in a multi-user environment. I do not ask the mtx-update script to generate the formats (the --make flag is missing), because this script is running as root. Generating the formats means that luatex-cache will be generated by root, and then a user will never be able to writing anything in the cache directory.
So, I do not generate the formats during the update.  In the post-install

post_install() {
 source /opt/context-minimals/setuptex
 mktexlsr
 texexec --make cont-en metafun
 texexec --make --xetex
 echo "*************************************************************"
 echo "To use ConTeXt minimals run"
 echo ". /opt/context-minimals/setuptex"
 echo "To use MkIV run"
 echo "luatools --generate"
 echo "*************************************************************"
}

I generate the pdftex and xetex formats, and ask the user to run luatools
--generate. When run for the first time, luatools --generate creates the
$TEXMFCACHE directory. Since the command is run by the user, TEXMFCACHE is
writable by the user.

Once luatools --generate is run, you can simply run "context filename". ConTeXt
sees that the formats are wrong and regenerates them on the fly. The first
luatools --generate is needed so that mtxrun can find the mtx-context script.
(context is just a wrapper around mtx-context.lua).

Currently something is going wrong in the installation script. Others have said
that you need to "press enter twice" to get it to run. My guess is that
something is trying to generate the luatools format, even though I have not
asked for it. I will investigate further why this is happening.

Aditya