On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:53:11 -0500 (EST)

Aditya> This is the best compromise I could get for running MkIV in a
Aditya> multi-user environment. I do not ask the mtx-update script to
Aditya> generate the formats (the --make flag is missing), because this
Aditya> script is running as root. Generating the formats means that
Aditya> luatex-cache will be generated by root, and then a user will
Aditya> never be able to writing anything in the cache directory. So, I
Aditya> do not generate the formats during the update.

Thank you for explanation.

Aditya> I generate the pdftex and xetex formats, and ask the user to
Aditya> run luatools --generate. When run for the first time, luatools
Aditya> --generate creates the $TEXMFCACHE directory. Since the command
Aditya> is run by the user, TEXMFCACHE is writable by the user.

Ahh, cool.

Aditya> Once luatools --generate is run, you can simply run "context
Aditya> filename". ConTeXt sees that the formats are wrong and
Aditya> regenerates them on the fly. The first luatools --generate is
Aditya> needed so that mtxrun can find the mtx-context script. (context
Aditya> is just a wrapper around mtx-context.lua).

Interesting...

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6