Nick,

  You said you tried --local-subnets, defining each /24 individually, but that
didn't seem to have any effect. I had the same result until I enabled
ntop.dontTrustMACaddr in Admin>Configure>Preferences. MAC address analysis
doesn't really buy you anything if you're primarily monitoring remote networks,
and I believe it considerably reduces the CPU load on the ntop server when MAC
addresses are ignored.

Now when I view IP>Summary>Networks, I get details on every /24. Clicking on
the /24 link in this table displays a list of hosts in the /24, letting me see
the breakdown by host of TCP, UDP, and ICMP traffic. This list is
column-sortable, letting me quickly see who the high rollers are. Clicking on
an individual host's link provides very good detail about that host's activity,
including the specific protocols and peers it's been using, and relative
traffic volumes by protocol.

 I don't know if ntop has any limit on the networks table, but I'm monitoring
about 160 without any problems on a 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Shuttle Barebones
with 3.2G RAM and 2TB disk. Our upstream links are 100 Mbps, and so far I have
not seen any dropped packets, although I'm thinking of going to NetFlow because
of a planned upgrade to 1GB uplinks. Monitoring the uplinks to our peers on a
Cisco 3550 L3 switch using port mirroring works fine for now, though.

 -mel