From: ntop-boun...@unipi.it [mailto:ntop-boun...@unipi.it] On Behalf Of
Mel Beckman
Sent: 06 January 2009 21:19
To: ntop@unipi.it; d...@ntop.org
Subject: Re: [Ntop] nTop Max Devices.

Nick,

  You said you tried --local-subnets, defining each /24 individually,
but that didn't seem to have any effect. I had the same result until I
enabled
ntop.dontTrustMACaddr in Admin>Configure>Preferences. MAC address
analysis doesn't really buy you anything if you're primarily monitoring
remote networks, and I believe it considerably reduces the CPU load on
the ntop server when MAC addresses are ignored.

Now when I view IP>Summary>Networks, I get details on every /24.
Clicking on the /24 link in this table displays a list of hosts in the
/24, letting me see the breakdown by host of TCP, UDP, and ICMP traffic.
This list is column-sortable, letting me quickly see who the high
rollers are. Clicking on an individual host's link provides very good
detail about that host's activity, including the specific protocols and
peers it's been using, and relative traffic volumes by protocol.

 I don't know if ntop has any limit on the networks table, but I'm
monitoring about 160 without any problems on a 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Shuttle Barebones with 3.2G RAM and 2TB disk. Our upstream links are 100
Mbps, and so far I have not seen any dropped packets, although I'm
thinking of going to NetFlow because of a planned upgrade to 1GB
uplinks. Monitoring the uplinks to our peers on a Cisco 3550 L3 switch
using port mirroring works fine for now, though.

 -mel