From: ntop-boun...@unipi.it [mailto:ntop-boun...@unipi.it] On Behalf Of
Luca Deri
Sent: 06 January 2009 20:53
To: ntop@unipi.it
Subject: Re: [Ntop] nTop Max Devices.

Nick
the community concept was designed to address situations as the one you
described. it seems it isn't enough for you. what is missing? I tell you
in advance that creating hundred of virtual interfaces isn't a solution
IMHO

Cheers Luca

On Jan 6, 2009, at 5:45 PM, Nick Verdegem wrote:

> Thanks for your response.
> I've been experimenting with this this afternoon and I don't think it
> will quite do what we need.
>
> Our infrastructure consists of 250-300 remote sites, generally
> assigned a /24 subnet.  These sites come back to a series of data
> centres, using a variety of thick and thin client technology. Our
> requirement is to be able to identify on a site by site basis, using
> netflow data from the on
> site router, who is using the local circuit and what they're doing.
> The
> original plan was to create a Virtual Interface for each /24, allowing

> the support team to quickly swap VI's for each site and identify what
> is going on.
>
> I have experimented with assigning a VI with a /16 subnet, but the
> filtering within nTop doesn't seem to be able to cope with wildcards,
> e.g. 192.168.2.*, meaning that it becomes extremely difficult to see
> on a site by site basis what is happening.
>
> I have also tried starting up with --local-subnets, defining each /24
> that I'm monitoring, but that doesn't seem to have any effect, simply
> because I believe the NetFlow probe detects this from the received
> flow information anyway.
>
> I've tried with the 'community' definitions, but I can't see a way of
> searching/filtering for this, other than sorting the column under
> hosts.
> I suspect that the 'subnet' drop down might be helpful, but all I get
> is 'All' or 'Unknown Subnets', and can't find a way of defining these.
>
> There may be another way of doing it, but I cant see anything reading
> MAN.  And surely we can't be the only people looking at having this
> quantity of devices :)
>

> "This email and any file attachments do not form a contract unless
> expressly stated. They may contain privileged, confidential and/or
> copyright information. If you are not the intended recipient or the
> service provider responsible for delivering this please delete the
> material from any computer and return to the sender at once; do not
> use, disclose or reproduce its contents. We do not accept liability
> for any error or omission in the message arising from corruption of,
> delay in or interference with, its transmission. We reserve the right
> to monitor email communications through normal internal and external
> networks. We believe but do not warrant that the email and the file
> attachments are virus free."
>
> Interserve Plc.  Registered in England, Number : 88456.
> Registered Office: Interserve House, Ruscombe Park, Twyford, Reading,
> Berkshire, RG10 9JU.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by WebSense MailControl.
www.websense.com

Click
https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/Rcmt4ML67trTndxI!oX7UpJ4uvErtpurKISEXxu1l
TvdtBdwVYbYUp9MNHh4JoetlZAaMsEpnmE28mHCioHNDQ==  to report this email as
spam.