On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I do remember reading a long time ago that traffic shouldn't go
> through more than three switches on a LAN (was that referred to as the
> diameter? I can't remember) - that pretty much matches the Cisco model
> of core, distribution and access, as described here, among many other
> places:

  Well, there's a difference between "not a best practice" and
"violates the specification".

  The 5-4-3 rule arises because of how classic Ethernet works.  It's a
shared medium, meaning all nodes on the network are connected to a
common signalling bus.  It takes time for a signal to travel through
the bus.  If the bus is too long (or has too many repeaters), a signal
transmitted from one end may not reach the other end before various
time windows close, leading to things like missed collisions, missed
preambles, and the like.  Worse, they won't be retried by the link
layer when they should be.  (Ethernet does not guarantee delivery, but
it does have *some* retry logic built-in.)  Silently corrupted payload
is even possible.

  (The "5-4-3 rule" is technically only a guideline because Ethernet
doesn't care about repeater hops, it cares about signal timings.  The
only way to truly confirm adherence to all aspects of the
specification was with a network analyzer.  Those are expensive, so a
rule of thumb was needed.  5-4-3 worked for most everything.  If your
equipment happened to need less margin within the spec, your network
could be bigger.)

  Modern Ethernet puts a transceiver at each end of each cable.  Each
cable is a point-to-point link, as far as the MAC sublayer is
concerned.  The switches receive and buffer frames, as opposed to
simply amplifying the electrical signal, the way a repeater does.
Assuming full duplex, you don't have collisions at all, so you don't
have to worry about jam signal propagation.  You don't have to worry
about preamble degradation, since each switch is transmitting a new
preamble.

  However, if you have to go through 42 switches to get to your
destination, that's still bad.  Ethernet still does not guarantee
delivery, and each link is another chance for a frame to be corrupted
and discarded.  Each switch also introduces more latency, and a lot of
LAN protocols (SMB, I'm looking at you) *hate* latency.

-- Ben