Another not-quite-zombie thread update:

After mucho packet capturing, and trying to figure stuff out myself, I
called in the cavalry.

I sent the packets for a small outbreak to an outside firm that I've
used before, and they handed it to their packethead.

It is/was an STP problem. Coming from the Cisco switches in the lab -
there are several in there that are announcing they are the root
bridge, and prod and dev switches ended up fighting.

I've explained the problem to the director of engineering, and they've
come up with a router and a couple of their own switches, and I'm in
the process of migrating their address space/VLANs off of my equipment
onto their router/switches. I've set up a /30 between the networks,
and will be putting up routes pointing to the new connection as we
migrate stuff off.

BTW - I came across the following while doing some of the research -
it's pretty good:
http://www.cisco.com/image/gif/paws/10556/spanning_tree1.swf

Kurt