And bit rot is real.

-----Original Message-----
From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Ben Scott
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 5:48 PM
To: ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: Re: [NTSysADM] Semi-OT: Network problem

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I do remember reading a long time ago that traffic shouldn't go
> through more than three switches on a LAN (was that referred to as the
> diameter? I can't remember) - that pretty much matches the Cisco model
> of core, distribution and access, as described here, among many other
> places:

  Well, there's a difference between "not a best practice" and "violates the
specification".

  The 5-4-3 rule arises because of how classic Ethernet works.  It's a shared
medium, meaning all nodes on the network are connected to a common signalling
bus.  It takes time for a signal to travel through the bus.  If the bus is too
long (or has too many repeaters), a signal transmitted from one end may not
reach the other end before various time windows close, leading to things like
missed collisions, missed preambles, and the like.  Worse, they won't be
retried by the link layer when they should be.  (Ethernet does not guarantee
delivery, but it does have *some* retry logic built-in.)  Silently corrupted
payload is even possible.

  (The "5-4-3 rule" is technically only a guideline because Ethernet doesn't
care about repeater hops, it cares about signal timings.  The only way to truly
confirm adherence to all aspects of the specification was with a network
analyzer.  Those are expensive, so a rule of thumb was needed.  5-4-3 worked
for most everything.  If your equipment happened to need less margin within the
spec, your network could be bigger.)

  Modern Ethernet puts a transceiver at each end of each cable.  Each cable is
a point-to-point link, as far as the MAC sublayer is concerned.  The switches
receive and buffer frames, as opposed to simply amplifying the electrical
signal, the way a repeater does.
Assuming full duplex, you don't have collisions at all, so you don't have to
worry about jam signal propagation.  You don't have to worry about preamble
degradation, since each switch is transmitting a new preamble.

  However, if you have to go through 42 switches to get to your destination,
that's still bad.  Ethernet still does not guarantee delivery, and each link is
another chance for a frame to be corrupted and discarded.  Each switch also
introduces more latency, and a lot of LAN protocols (SMB, I'm looking at you)
*hate* latency.

-- Ben