There is an issue with the NumPy 1.7 release that we all need to understand.
Doesn't including the missing-data attributes in the NumPy structure in a
released version of NumPy basically commit to including those attributes in
NumPy 1.8?     I'm not comfortable with that, is everyone else?    One
possibility is to move those attributes to a C-level sub-class of NumPy.

I have heard from a few people that they are not excited by the growth of the
NumPy data-structure by the 3 pointers needed to hold the masked-array storage.
  This is especially true when there is talk to potentially add additional
attributes to the NumPy array (for labels and other meta-information).      If
you are willing to let us know how you feel about this, please speak up.

Mark Wiebe will be in Austin for about 3 months.  He and I will be hashing some
of this out in the first week or two.    We will present any proposal and ask
questions to this list before acting.     We will be using some phone calls and
face-to-face communications to increase the bandwidth and speed of the
conversations (not to exclude anyone).    If you would like to be part of the
in-person discussions let me know -- or just make your views known here ---
they will be taken seriously.

The goal is consensus for any major change in NumPy.   If we can't get
consensus, then we vote on this list and use a super-majority.   If we can't
get a super-majority, then except in rare circumstances we can't move forward.
  Heavy users of NumPy get higher voting privileges.

My perspective is that we don't have consensus on the current additions to the
NumPy data-structure to have the current additional attributes on the NumPy
data-structure be included for long-term release.

Best,

-Travis