Dan,

The problem with your suggestion is the potential danger of creating a kind of
"birding war" that would not help to solve any problem but may create new ones,
including potentially violent encounters in the field that we must avoid. More
productive could be the development of some flexible guidelines by some local
groups (like the Audubon society) about what birders or bird photographers
should do and not do in the field. Codes of ethics are by definition general
moral principles. In my humble opinion the best policy is self-restraint and a
good sense of personal responsibility.
 There are issues that will never be solved. For example, the issue of
"disturbing" birds or approaching birds. Maybe for a particular birder being
too close to a bird means 50 feet away while for others may be only 30. Massive
birding by definition is a potential disturbance for many birds. When you have
60 bird watchers congregated on the same spot that could create be more
disturbance than a single photographer taking pictures of the same bird even at
a closer distance.
 What I am trying to say is that things cannot be one-dimensional and that
practical common sense cannot be like the Ten Commandments (for those who are
believers), written in stone.
FP