From: Tom Kerr <tyrannustyran...@gmail.com>
To: NYSBirds <nysbirds-l@cornell.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Knee jerk reaction to 2 guys that just didn't get it

Hi Everyone,

Just to add my 2 cents on Owls.

I was taught owls are not to be posted.  I found a Saw-whet Owl once and
returned with friends the next day.  There were dozens of pellets at the base
of the tree.  This owl had been there for weeks.  I never saw it again.  4
people were enough to chase it off in the dead of winter for good, and I
learned my lesson.  The only owl I have reported seeing to an RBA was a Snowy
Owl on an inaccessible island visible from shore, hundreds of yards out.  If I
ask a birder I have just met about owls and they don't want to tell me where
they are, that is just fine.  I have asked and been told "no, its a secret."  I
have more respect for a birder that thinks about the bird's well-being first
than one who wants to brag and show it off like a trophy.  If you post the
location of a roosting owl, or any bird for that matter, you have to share some
responsibility for what happens to it, good or bad.  If you know photographers
are going to chase after it, or
 people are going to play calls at it all day long, you should probably take
the bird's best interests into account and keep it to yourself.  Use common
sense.  If this means new birders don't get to see it, then that's the way it
has to be.  I don't see anything wrong with having to earn your way into the
birding community.