Markus Wolf wrote:
Thanks for your help,
When the dtd is in the jar also (in the same directory) then it works.

Great - but it really shows that the error reporting needs to be shaped up in that area.

When specifying then ConnectionFactoryManagedImpl then each and every connection attempt is going through the factory? I tried with an own ConnectionFactory implementation and that needs a jdbc-connection-descriptor in the repository.xml.
I was looking for a way around specifying two points where I have to put database connecton definitions. One for the avalon pool and one for OJB. I decided to drop the avalon one now.

jdbc-connection-descriptor is OJB's representation of a PBKey<=>Connection-source mapping, so it needs to be there. It's where you tell OJB that jcd-alias "X" goes to source for connection to db "X" and jcd-alias "Y" goes to db "Y".

When you are using more than one database it will be obvious that OJB needs at least this mapping to be able to select the proper Connection (to X or Y) when creating a broker with a specific PBKey/jcd-alias.

If you are using the ConnectionFactoryManagedImpl and DataSource you will just specify the JNDI alias in OJB and OJB will then just delegate everything to the JNDI/DataSource mechanism and not create or manage the connections, just check them out from the pool and relase them back.

Something like (over-simplified):
OJB
<jdbc-connection-descriptor
    jcd-alias="avalon" jndi-datasource-name="ExcaliburDS"/>

Since you are using a stand-alone system you will need one central point which registers and provides this DataSource in a J2EE-fashion, normally the J2EE-container will do it for you.

I don't know if ExcaliburDataSource has something like this stand-alone, head over to Excalibur mailinglists if you are interested in following up on that lead!

If you do investigate some information re integration please post it back to this list so we can integrate it into the website docs.

You should also check out OJB1.1 where support for IoC frameworks has been added, maybe your Avalon-wrapper will later be a candidate for inclusing in the main OJB1.1 distribution. I can't give you too much info in this area, just because I have not checked it out myself yet...

Regards, Martin