On 22/09/2011 Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
Hi Gianluca;
Is your work related to this version?
http://members.xoom.it/trasforma/ispell/
Just wondering if we have to contact them too.

Whatever this is, it is widely unrelated to the dictionary currently included in OpenOffice.org 3.3. The best starting point for it is http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/dict-it (note that the latest release is more recent than OOo 3.3 and was supposed to be included in OOo 3.4 as expected to be released by Oracle).

The current version is GPL3 and it has a few copyright holders (including Gianluca and myself), but we are sure that some of the copyright holders will never give permission to relicense their work.

But we need to open, at due time, a dedicated discussion on writing aids before saying that GPL dictionaries cannot be used. Shipping an older Italian dictionary (or no Italian dictionary at all) would be a huge regression and it would definitely lead to users abandoning OpenOffice.org in scores, and to community members feeling frustrated because their work of years is removed from OpenOffice.org just for the stubbornness of one copyright holder opposing the license change.

Workarounds can surely be found (like OOo offering to download GPL dictionaries upon installation or first run) and I'd urge to consider them before risking to alienate entire native-lang communities.

Regards,
  Andrea.