It's quite possible the 3rd party HTTP server doesn't use the threadpool though
I've never looked in detail.

You could supply any other http address in the GetTexture cap (e.g. the asset service directly with a suitable handler). However, I'm not sure that asset serving is such a bottleneck at the moment compared with scripting and physics issues.