Hi Chris,

  I will expand on the abstract explanation, and then reveal my optimal
solution -- which
is a bit of a hack, but is still the most elegant.

[...]

Wow, yeah that's a nice setup and good solution to it. I'll probably be able to use a similar technique in our simulators. Thanks for sharing more detail about your situation and solution!

  BTW, should we document that there really should only be one ClearNode in the
scene
graph at a time, and what effect exactly it actually has?

Well, if the doxygen description of the class didn't clearly state that, then yes, it should be added, of course. I just read the description, and it contains other details but this (and the fact that it actually clears at the start of the frame and not when the node is reached in the draw traversal) is not mentioned.

J-S