Now that my problem is resolved, I thought about why I was having so much
trouble finding the resolution.  It occured to me early on that my near/far
settings might be involved early on and appearently my attempt to override
what I was setting was ineffective.

The problem was ultimately something along the lines of what
Frank suggested, only simpler.  The HUD geometries are rendered with depth OFF,
so they're visible despite the near/far settings of the projection matrix.
However, when picking the near/far settings would cause the HUD geometries to
be culled and would never register a pick hit.  There seems to be no reason
not to keep near/far wide open (-1., 1.) in the HUD camera projection.

-Don