All,

In SP2010, I have been working on the new CSS menu system that is
enabled when UseSimpleRendering is set to true.

My team have found two main problems with this menu system, and I can't
seem to find any solutions. If we can't find solutions to these problems
we will be forced to switch UseSimpleRendering back to false, and rely
on the old table system instead. This would be a shame because it means
taking a step backwards which defeats the purpose of using 2010's new
menu system. (Both of these issues were not a problem in SP2007).

The two problems are;

1) The main navigation menu cannot be accessed using a keyboard. In our
situation, this is a deal breaker. When pressing the TAB key, if you
watch the status bar at the bottom of the window, you can see that the
URL is changing and it is working through the menu system, but there's
no visual way of knowing that this is happening on the menu bar. In
SP2007 this wasn't a problem.

2) Menu flyouts do not centre themselves vertically on the screen. For
example, if you roll over the bottom link on the navigation menu and it
has a corresponding flyout, and if this flyout contains a long-ish set
of links, the flyout will extend itself over the bottom of the screen,
making it impossible for the user to access those links. In SP2007, the
flyouts automatically re-positioned themselves to move up the screen in
a situation like this, making all links accessible. I read a post by
Brian (thanks Brian!) that suggested not having so many links in the
flyout to begin with, but we're not in a position to get the client to
do this. Their site didn't have these issues in the 2007 version, so
therefore we shouldn't have to make major changes the structure of the
site just to suit this problem.

I'm hoping somebody in this group has a solution, or at least some ideas
to work with

Cheers for now

Kathleen

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments to it,
is intended for the use of the addressee and is confidential.  If you
are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, read,
forward, copy or retain any of the information.  If you received this
e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender by return
e-mail or telephone.

The Commonwealth does not warrant that any attachments are free
from viruses or any other defects.  You assume all liability for any
loss, damage or other consequences which may arise from opening
or using the attachments.

The security of emails transmitted in an unencrypted environment
cannot be guaranteed. By forwarding or replying to this email, you
acknowledge and accept these risks.