The sad part about HTML5 is all the awesome innovative stuff we've seen out of
MSFT powered by Silverlight will now have to been slowly ported over HTML5 and
the loser is new innovation.

Great that it will have more reach but from an innovation point of view it
sucks. Example Photosynth, sure a pure HTML5 version would be great but it will
cost all the dev resources to do it and we don't get anything new. It is a real
pity that the right decision is to spend your time on boring HTML5 rather then
doing new work that has never been done before in Silverlight.

>From a business point of view how do you allocate your resources for a RIA?

1) HTML4 / AJAX - greatest reach for some time, limited functionality

2) HTML5 - potential for greater reach, build RIAs, limited tooling

3) SL - suffer from the plugin install issue, richer experience, good tools.

My guess is conservative managers are going to choose 1+2, if not just 1 and
"wait till 90%+ of devices have HTML5 caps".

CC: ozsilverlight@ozsilverlight.com