It depends on the foam. Some foams especially from the 70's degrade in very unfriendly ways.

Chad wrote:

I have a separate plastic case that I use to store my lenses. It is
dark, and I keep silica gel in the case to keep out the Texas tropical
moisture. When I go out and take pics I transfer the needed lenses to
my Pelican case, which also has silica gel in it. I was wondering if
any damage could occur by storing a lens in a Pelican case which has
foam? Has anyone heard of foam causing damage, ie possible fumes, to a
lens?

Chad Richardson

--
A man's only as old as the woman he feels.
                        --Groucho Marx