On Jan 23, 2007, at 11:01 AM, Thibouille wrote:

> List weirdness I got your response to Godfrey message, got followinf
> Godfrey message but notthe first one to which your reponded... :|
>
> All those are pretty interesting idea I have to admit :)
>
> Now, choice of programming language and envrionment will be harder.
> I have no experience in Java (but it looks like it should be doable).
> I'm more C++/Delphi. Graphical library for the GUI part will also be
> tricky.
>
> Any recommendation for a Win/OSX/Linux (or at least Win/Linux)
> environment?
> I know Delphi/Kylix and BuilderX but none of those will allow OSX
> development.

I'd write the functional code as C or C++ language source without
embedding UI and file system access into it. That should be 100%
compatible with whatever GUI libraries, system IO libraries and
graphics libraries you would use on all three platforms.

On Mac OS X, write the system IO and User Interface using Objective-C
and/or Objective-C++ and the supplied Cocoa interface libraries,
using Apple's supplied development tools and libraries (Xcode and
Interface Builder ... they are distributed as an optional
installation with Mac OS X). It's a little easier to link C and
Objective-C code, but either way works without too much effort. If
you design your functional module correctly, it will go very very
quickly.

I'm not up on the best development tools and UI libraries for Windows
or Linux, but the story should be similar for those OS environments.

Godfrey