Godfrey, my point being that Java can be used in order to create
*reasonably* portable and *reasonably* cross platform code. After all
we're talking educational project here, not fully blown industrial
development effort.

I agree with your analysis, but in order for Thibouille to concentrate
on the problem in hand and not on surrounding technical issues (which
are more valid for commercial project rather than for educational one) I
think Java will do nicely.

And again, I agree with what you're saying ;-).

Boris