Last year we spent 3 weeks in Italy and travelled entirely by train.  Enjoyed
it immensely.  Even more remarkable in that I am an amputee (left leg below the
knee) and wheelchair bound.  The Italtrain has a service called "Salablue"
which put me on a  lift, put me on a disability enabled coach, and removed me
again at our destination.  All at no additional cost.