> > In my example, I was thinking more about just getting from
> A to B, as
> > a sheer transport. For that purpose, a couple of hours wasted in
> > airports beats a couple of days wasted on a train every time.
>
> I can see your point.
>
> I agree time spent in airports IS wasted, but from my point
> of view, time spent on trains is not. I'm not wasting a
> couple of days on a train, I'm having fun while I'm traveling.

I agree with you. Travelling by train is a very civilised activity (or
inactivity if you prefer). It tends to be shortage of time and the fact of
islands that prevent me using it all the time. When I went to Fez a couple
of years ago I originally planned the whole trip to be a train journey from
London. Unfortunately I didn't have time for that, and flew instead,
although I did have interesting journeys between Casablanca and Fez.

I also spent an interesting month travelling in India by train a few years
ago.

Bob