The flaws are not fatal, either for the camera or for the photographer. They
are serious flaws, but if you bite the bullet and buy the IR filters it's a
good camera. Not the camera it should be, as a Leica, but still it's the
camera I use the most.

Jeffery seems to have suffered from piss-poor service from his retailer, and
perhaps also from Leica USA. The service is better over here. I obtained my
M8 by trading in a lot of Contax film gear. The M8 was (very lightly) used
and without any faults (other than being an M8!). However, a friend spilt
beer on it a few weeks after I got it, which made the shutter release
practically unusable. I took it to the dealer (The Classic Camera, Pied Bull
Yard, London <http://www.theclassiccamera.com/>), told them what had
happened and they took it in for repair. I expected a hefty bill for it, but
when I picked it up it had been completely overhauled and fixed in Solms at
no charge.

The M9 appears to be the camera the M8 should have been. I've played with
one, and an S2, at Leica's showroom in London, which is a great place for
the Leica fan and shows the good side of their customer service.

Bob