Having worked with leicas for the better part of four decades, I guess
the "dream purchase" but doesn't compute anymore. To me they are just
cameras, expensive to be sure but just cameras.

It's just like a Ferrari or other "exotic" car in essence. To some who
cannot afford one they are a fantasy anda superlative. To those who
can, or who race them, they are just expensive cars.