On 5/19/2010 8:40 AM, Larry Colen wrote:
My bigma is quite satisfactory. My only complaint with it is bokeh.

My 20/1.8 is a mixed bag. Optically it is just fine. It just fails in
the tactile department, though it seems to be better since I sent it
back, it just feels like a modern cheap lens. Then again, in today's
market people who manually focus are definitely in the minority. I also
wish that the focus were a little slower between 2m and infinity.
There's not much room for error photographing someone 3m away.

Larry, I am thinking that you were slightly confused. I did not write anything regarding my dislike of Sigma. It was Godfrey who did.

Nonetheless, I am thinking that 20 mm lens ought to have very short transition between 2m and infinity. E.g. my FA 20/2.8 has just a few degrees of rotation between 2m and infinity mark. In fact, 2m is the last focus mark before infinity, which I believe says something.

Like I said before, things such as Katz Eye f.s. help immensely if one has to deal with manual focus.

Personally I had owned only two Sigma lenses and the were satisfactory. They were not stellar but they did the job they were supposed to do and did it quite fine. I did not own any EX series lenses, though.

Boris