It sounds like it has a high priority task that's not completing. Usually this doesn't quite crash the GUI but does lock it up. Back when I was doing SDK development it happened all the time, but then I could usually deduce which task had gone haywire, since I usually created the problem. In this case it could be anything from a rogue dll that cannot completely load and doesn't fail gracefully to a hardware problem such as a problematic sector on a hard drive. You don't mention if you're using SATA or PATA drives, ribbon cables can go bad over time and lead to very hard to diagnose problems if the error is intermittent. I don't have enough long term experience with SATA cables to know if they could cause the same problem. You can also have similar problems if any expansion cards aren't completely seated or there are cracked leads to the cards on the buss.

On 12/14/2012 11:26 AM, John Sessoms wrote:
Doesn't happen enough to make the machine un-usable, just enough to be
peculiar. There's a lot of computer expertise on the list, so I thought
I'd ask.

It's a problem on the level of "Why is the carpet protector creeping
sideways again?"

... not quite as urgent as "I know I made a cup of coffee, but what the
hell did I do with it?  ???"

From: "Bob W"
I had similar problems with a Dell laptop that I used to use and I never
found out the cause. It started with some problems on the sound card, and issues with the fan and overheating. I think the issue was that Windows just became too fat for the machine to support. I did several re-installs, and
maxed the memory, stripped everything back to basics (as far as that's
possible with Windows and consistent with running something useful and
secure).

It was an old machine so I gave up and bought a new machine with Win7 -
life's too short. I use the old one occasionally for playing with other
operating systems. It currently has Minix on, and someday I'll play about
with it.