From: Darren Addy
As soon as you experience some sort of freeze, hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE and
click the Task Manager button.
The Task Manager window will open. Click on the "Processes" tab and
then click the CPU heading (twice). That will sort the list in
descending order by CPU usage. See if you have a process that is
eating up a large percentage of your CPU time. You can Google the
process name if you don't recognize it.

Prime suspect is normally spyware/adware, so downloading the free
MalwareBytes for a check of that is recommended.

There are lots of other possibilities, but that's what I'd try first.

Doesn't respond to CTRL+ALT+DELETE once it's frozen. Caps Lock & Num
Lock will not toggle once it's frozen. No response to keyboard or mouse
at all. That's why I'm having to do hard reboots.

I don't think it's spyware/adware. I'm running a strong HOSTS file,
fairly restrictive privacy settings on my browser & NoScript. I've got
fairly good anti-virus & have been regularly applying all of the
security updates for WindozeXP.

If I have Firefox open, when I re-launch it after rebooting all of the
previously open tabs will reload and the focus will be on the tab that
was in focus when it froze. It opens to the same state it was in at the
time it froze.

Thunderbird, OTOH, will open without any message loaded, but it will
show the message that I was reading when it froze marked as read.

Plus it has occasionally frozen when I was using my word processor or
spread sheets or playing solitaire and not on the web.