From: Anthony Farr
On 15 December 2012 09:26, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
But "rogue dll" makes me wonder if I need to look for a new mouse
driver. The one thing that I'm sure is common to every occurrence is I
go to move the mouse pointer & find it's frozen.

It's still possible that it's a video rendering freeze.  I've had a
similar occurrence and it became apparent that the mouse did function
(I got a reaction to a click at an assumed position of the mouse
pointer) but the display wasn't updating to any new input or actions.
I've found that pressing the Windows key on a frozen display can
sometimes break through the lockup better than ctrl-alt-del, the start
menu will pop up and allow you to access some actions, although you
may need to use the arrow keys and "enter".  I've been able to do a
soft shutdown this way.  Repeated hard shutdowns seem to get a
computer into a downward spiral of errors and faults.

regards, Anthony

Drat.

IBM 101-key click keyboard - no windoze keys. I'll have to look around
and see if I can scrounge up a spare windows-keyboard. Hate to give up
my good keyboard. I just love the feel of typing on this thing.

FWIW, it's been doing this maybe once or twice a month for years &
doesn't seem to be getting any worse.