I'm not "feature driven" either; I hardly use any of that stuff either
(although I do use the macOS Messages app quite a bit).

Most of the work in Sierra is actually OS infrastructure that makes it perform
better on the same hardware I was running El Capitan on, from what I see and
what my use of it shows. That's what makes it worth more to me. Plus the
continuing, improvements in coordination of macOS with my phone and tablet
usage.

(An iPad Pro is now pretty much my 'standard computer' other than for
photographic and publishing work.)