On 2/24/2017 1:56 PM, Gonz wrote:
In the 80's, a company I worked for had the big room with raised
floors for all the computing equipment.  One day, after we had been
chronically short on disk space, a huge box came in.  It was a washing
machine sized disk drive from Fujitsu, that came with the whopping
capacity of 400Mbytes.  We were overjoyed.

I worked for a full service photo lab in the early 80s that was hooked up to Kodak's Technet. We had a computer that was about as big as a fridge. The hard drives were massive, and I have no idea how much data it stored. It wasn't much. We had 2 Gretag 3140 printers. We talked to them via a teletype, the program was on about a hundred feet of paper tape, and I believe the old machine was 8K of memory, the newer machine was 16K of memory, but I could be wrong, they might both have been 16k. The computer had a row of switches across the front that had to be set in the correct sequence for the machine to boot. They ran about 8000 6"x4" prints per hour, approximately 15 seconds for a 36 exposure roll of film.