Gary, Wilfred et al.

Gary wrote:
I'm still trying to get a firmer grip on the concept of "entelechy"
myself, but the best definition i can offer at the moment is "the end
product of a completed process."

Yes, that's a good definition. Keeping in mind Peircean idea of meaning as something having it's being in futuro. So, the process in question will never actually be completed. Which is tied with Peirce's idea of continuity (which goes beyond those of Aristotle and Kant).

The Greek word comes from: en-telos-ekhein. With en (preposition)= inside, telos =end, and ekhein = to have. So, it comes to something like: Having it's (or a ?) being within an end.

G.F.: So the problem with the translation "actuality" is that the reality of
the entelechy does not depend on its actuality -- not in the Peircean
senses of those words.
Agreed. I don't think it does in the Aristotelian sense either.

Personally i find it almost impossible to apply these "-tel-" concepts
(such as entelechy and final cause) to a linear process. It seems to me
that they are only really meaningful in the nonlinear or cyclical
domain.
So do I, so do I. This is exactly where Peirce's notion of continuity is crucial. It's not a linear notion.
And yet this is not evident from Peirce's discussion in "New
Elements", which for me is the central text in the discussion of
"entelechy". There he applies the term to the universal process -- the
process of the universe evolving toward complete being -- and he doesn't
appear to say that this universal process is nonlinear. (Though i don't
think he rules it out either.)

I assume Peirce takes it in New Elements as something he had already made clear in earlier writings, and consequently did not feel the need to make it explicit there. (Thus highly overestimating the capacities his audience:).)

Well, I do hope I'll have time in the future to discuss the New Elements in the list. Now I've just jotted down these few thoughts in a hurry. Noticing that there are twenty unread messages. So, someone else might have written something I should have taken notice.

Best
Kirsti Määttänen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>