Title: [peirce-l] Re: Entelechy
Gary --

I see now that Merrell is mentioned in the "Life of Meaning" resources on your site. Nice collection!

I am surprised, however, to see the entrants under "Models and simulations of mind." Aren't the views of Hofstadter, Dennet and Minsky generally at odds with the spirit of rest of your list -- and explicitly at odds with Damasio, Lakoff, Maturana and Varela, Rosen, and Wittgenstein of the Philosophical Investigations?

Janet

Gary --

Are you familiar with the work of Floyd Merrell? Your characterization of your own work brings his to mind. To quote from a review of three of Merrell's books by Robert E. Innis (review available in the archives of the Semiotic Review of Books at http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/epc/srb/srb/signtrek.html )

"Merrell's account of the physical contexts of semiosis culminates in the notion of the physical conditions of possibility of open systems, exemplified in the revolutionary work of Prigogine (perhaps, after Peirce, Merrell's intellectual hero), which make possible on the ontological level emergence of higher-order structures, including the higher-order structure that doubles back on itself, the field of consciousness itself. On this view, consciousness is an emergent property of cosmic processes and condition of the possibility of our knowledge of these very properties."

Sorry I incorrectly attributed the Ehresmann reference to you -- it will take a while to get oriented to the list.

Janet
---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]